Hammerton’s Funeral Directors have been an independent family run business for over two hundred and fifty years.Ian Hammerton
Hammerton’s Funeral Directors have been an independent family run business for over two hundred and fifty years.
In the early days, the family roots were to be found in Worsbrough Dale, where apart from being the local undertakers, they were wheelwrights and joiners. Located near to the canal, enabled timber to be delivered by barge for their joinery business workshop. Here housed a steam-engine to drive the woodworking machinery.
The census of 1841 records Joseph Hammerton, his wife Jane, seven children and a 17 year old apprentice named George Brook as all living at Goosehulls Lane. By the end of the nineteenth century, the business had expanded and a court-yard of houses known as Hammerton’s buildings, were completed to the back of Edmunds Road to accommodate a growing workforce.
Around the turn of the twentieth century, a generator was obtained to power all the woodworking machinery by electricity.
In 1907, when Francis Hammerton built a new house for his family, known as ‘The Mount’, on Station Road (now Autumn House Nursing Home) it was the first house in the area to have electric lighting.
At this time, the firm was involved with a great deal of the housing development, in an ever expanding Worsbrough area.
In 1901 Samual Joshua Cooper, a local colliery owner, commissioned Hammerton’s to build a new church on West Street, to be called ‘The Church of St. James’.
Around 1925, the joinery workshop was moved from Goosehulls, to a new building on Station Road (now occupied by Lowerdale Autos).
The timber (oak or elm) for making coffins, which were all hand made in the workshop came from woods at Hickleton, owned by Bob Longley.
Up until the 1930’s, transport for all funerals was by horse drawn hearse. Poorer families would walk behind the hearse to the church for the service and burial. The last horse-drawn funeral conducted by Hammerton’s was that of Edith Leak, on December 3. 1936. The first funeral carried out with motorised vehicles was that of Dorothy Newman from ‘Darley Cliff’ on May 5. 1929. The reason for horse-drawn funerals carrying on until 1936 was that the local population did not trust the new motor vehicles.
Today and for the past 35 years the company has been run by Mr Ian Hammerton who carries on the family tradition of a 24 hour personal service. The success of his family business is based on providing only the very best, in a caring and totally professional service, for all his clients. With his full-time employed staff, who have over 100 years’ service with Hammertons, the latest luxury Mercedes fleet of cars, a beautiful catering suite and peaceful chapels of rest you are assured that only the very best is acceptable.
Mr Hammerton is always available 24 hours: 7 days a week to give free professional advice. The best does not have to be expensive and Hammerton’s very sensible costs are seen as the most competitive in the area.